A Brief Guide Of Carbon Monoxide Posioning

A Brief Guide Of Carbon Monoxide Posioning

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.

Where is Carbon Monoxide found?

Carbon monoxide is found in combustion fumes produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, lanterns stoves, burning charcoal, gas ranges and heating systems. Carbon monoxide from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned by breathing it.

What are the symptoms of Carbon monoxide poisoning?

·         Headache

·          Confusion

·         Dizziness

·         Weakness

·         Nausea and Vomiting

·         Chest Pain

High levels of inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms impersonate other illnesses. People who are intoxicated can die from Carbon monoxide poisoning before experiencing any symptoms.

How does Carbon Monoxide poisoning work?

Red blood cells pick up Carbon monoxide quicker than they pick up oxygen. If there is a lot of the gas in the air the body may replace oxygen in blood with carbon monoxide. This blocks oxygen from getting into the body, which cause damage to tissues and result in death.

Who is at risk from Carbon monoxide poisoning?

Everyone whether it people or animals are at risk from Carbon monoxide poisoning. Unborn babies, infants, and people with chronic heart disease or respiratory problems are more vulnerable to its effects.

How can I prevent CO poisoning from my home appliances?

Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas appliances serviced by a Gas Registered engineers every year. If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator’s cooling unit have an engineer to service it. This could mean an odor from the cooling unit of your gas refrigerator can mean you have a defect in the cooling unit. It could also be giving off Carbon monoxide. Install a battery-operated or battery back-up Carbon monoxide detector in your home. Always check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.

Share This:

Carbon Monoxide – The Silent Killer

Carbon Monoxide – The Silent Killer

tt-faq

Carbon Monoxide is sometimes referred to as the “Silent Killer” as it is odourless, colourless and has no taste. This means it is difficult to detect and you wouldn’t even realise if you were breathing it in. If you do breathe it in, it can make you unwell and could even kill. It has unfortunately been highlighted in the press recently due to some fatalities.

In the UK alone, there are more than 50 people killed every year and 200 people seriously injured from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. It enters into your bloodstream and mixes with the red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body. This would mean that the blood is unable to carry oxygen and this lack of oxygen will cause the body’s cells and tissue to die.

Carbon Monoxide leaks are most commonly caused by incorrectly installed, poorly maintained or poorly ventilated appliances such as cookers, heaters and central heating bolers. Blocked flues and chimneys can stop the carbon monoxide escaping to the outside so it will build up to dangerous levels in any home or enclosed space.

It is important to be aware of the risk and to look out for anyone in the household or work place displaying any symptoms, symptoms such as shortness of breath or breathing difficulties, tiredness and confusion, dizziness, nausia and vomitting. They can be displayed as very similar symptoms as those of food poisoning or flu, but unlike flu, sufferers would not have a high temperature.

Possible signs of a carbon monoxide leak could include sooty marks on the walls around boilers, stoves and fires, or on the front of gas fires. There could be a build up of smoke in the rooms and the flame is burning yellow instead of blue from your appliances.The best ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and protect your family is to know the danger signs, identify any of your appliances that could potentially leak carbon monoxide and install a Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm that can detect a leak and will let out a high-pitched noise when the levels of the gas are too high. These alarms are readily available for installation at LHPS and for a very reasonable price, will allow you to have peace of mind, knowing that your family, tenants or Employees are safe from this “Silent Killer”. However, alarms are not a safe susbtitute for having your appliances regularly maintained and regularly serviced. Call LHPS today to arrange for the installation of CO alarms or to arrange for your boiler or heating system to be serviced andchecked over by one of our fully qualified Gas Safe engineer.

 

Share This: