For doing your own DIY plumbing it isn’t as hard as you think it is, for the skill does come with practice. If you are careful, you can save yourself money on repair bills by taking care small problems on your own without the risk of ruin your plumbing.
However do be aware that owning a pair of channel-lock pliers doesn’t make you an expert plumber. So why doing DIY plumbing steers clear of some of these common mistakes that can foul up your system:
- Leaving the water on during repairs. This is rather obvious but there is one plumbing cardinal rule to follow when undertaking repair, is to turn off the water before you begin. Always switch off the main shutoff valve where the water enters your home, or close the valves that are found near your sinks and toilets. Forgetting to stop the water supply can lead to a huge mess as the water comes gushing out at full pressure.
- Being careless with the soldering torch. Do be aware that soldering pipes together isn’t necessarily a difficult job, but can be a dangerous one. Before you start using the torch, protect any flammable areas near your work space, and never ever set the torch down unattended when the flame is turned on.
- Flushing trash down the toilet. This is another rather obvious cardinal plumbing rule, but you should never use the toilet as a garbage can, only ever toilet paper and human waste. If you flush garbage down your toilet then this will clog your pipes and potentially cause a nasty hazardous mess.
- Putting grease into the sink drain. After cooking any unwanted grease, oil and fat, it’s a bad idea to wash it down the sink. As it will clog your drain and then you will need a plumber to clear the pipes.
- Leaving exposed pipes in the winter. When winter approach and the temperatures drop below freezing, make sure you keep your home pipes protected by your home system. As outdoor pipes is prone to bursting so insulate your pipes before it too late.
- Refusing to ask for help.Sometimes, you just need to know when to surrender and call in a plumber. Plumbing work can be tricky, and even jobs that look like they should be simple can produce serious complications.