Nest Labs, Inc. ( www.nest.com ), architect of the thoughtful home, today brings the 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat to the UK, France, Netherlands, Belgium and Republic of Ireland. In addition to its new design, the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat offers improved boiler support that now delivers remote hot water control and advanced compatibility with OpenTherm heating systems. New design features include a slimmer profile, a high-resolution screen that’s 40 percent larger and an updated user interface that makes it easier to read temperatures, alerts and messages. And Farsight, a new software feature, automatically displays the target temperature or time when movement is sensed across the room.
“Millions of Nest homes around the world have saved approximately four billion kilowatt hours of energy compared to what they would have used if they’d left their thermostats at a consistent temperature. And today, with brand new software and hardware, our European customers can save even more whilst staying comfortable, thanks to remote hot water control and OpenTherm compatibility,” said Lionel Paillet, General Manager of Europe for Nest. “And we are continuing to expand our presence in Europe – the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat will be available through thousands of retail locations, professional distributors, and directly through Nest Pro installers, and at a discount or at no cost at all through energy partners.”
The 3rd generation Nest Thermostat learns the temperature you like, then programs itself. It knows how long it takes to heat your home so you’re comfortable when you get there. When you leave, it automatically turns down your boiler and hot water tank so you save energy.
New features for the 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat
• Hot water (exclusive to Europe) – The Nest Thermostat can now control your hot water tank, in addition to central heating. You can adjust the hot water schedule from your phone or thermostat, boost from anywhere, and Auto-Away works with your hot water tank to help save energy when no one’s home (after 2 days).
• Sleek new design – The Nest Thermostat has a 40 percent larger, brighter, high-resolution screen and new graphics so you can see it easier from far away. The crisp screen has 229 pixels per inch (ppi), 25 percent more than the current generation Nest Thermostat. The 3rd generation Nest Thermostat also has a slightly thinner profile so it can sit flush against the wall.
• Farsight – Previously, you had to be pretty close to get the Nest Thermostat to wake up and turn on the display. Farsight takes advantage of the new high-resolution screen so that you can see useful information on the Nest Thermostat from across the room. You can set the thermostat to display target temperature, an analog clock or digital clock, or turn Farsight off.
• OpenTherm support (exclusive to Europe) – Nest now uses OpenTherm to enable two-way communication between compatible boilers and the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat. The Nest Learning Thermostat continues to get better over time through over-the-air software updates, and the modulation experience will continue to improve in the future.
We’ve also created a brand new stand for the Nest Thermostat. This was designed for homes that don’t already have a thermostat, or where the old thermostat was in a room where the temperature wasn’t regulated, so it can be put in the best place to sense the temperature and activity in your home.
Creating a More Thoughtful Home
Just like the current generation, the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat will also include the following integrations with Nest Protect and Nest Cam:
• When Nest Protect sounds a Heads-Up or Emergency Alarm for smoke or carbon monoxide (CO), you’ll see a message on the Nest Thermostat display to help you know what’s going on in addition to a Nest app notification . The Nest Thermostat can automatically stop your gas or oil boiler from heating your home – the most common source of CO in the home. This can prevent your boiler from making the situation even worse
• Nest Protect enhances the Nest Thermostat’s Auto-Away feature by improving Nest’s knowledge of when you’re home or away
• You can set your Nest Cam to turn on automatically when you switch your Nest Thermostat into Home or Away mode
In addition, the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat speaks with other connected products in the home from household brands including Philips Hue, Osram, Bosch, Logitech and LG, to work together, learn from one another and help you out – all on their own – helping the home to be safer, more secure, or help save money. To learn more visit https://nest.com/works-with-nest.
Energy Partners Throughout Europe
More than 50 energy and enterprise partners are now working with Nest to bring Nest products and services to millions of homes across the world. In Europe, consumers will be able to receive a Nest Thermostat at no cost, or at a discounted price, as part of their energy contract through local energy partners including Direct Energie and ENGIE in France, Electric Ireland in the Republic of Ireland, Essent in both the Netherlands and Belgium, Lampiris in Belgium, and nPower in the UK. Full details of these offers will be announced in the coming months.
Pricing, Availability, Installation and Compatibility
The 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat is available from today with a recommended retail price of £199/€249 (VAT included). The stand for the 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat is sold separately for a recommended retail price of £29/€35 (VAT included). Both products will be available from more than 2,500 retail locations across Europe – as well as online – including nest.com.
Because the Nest Thermostat connects to the heating system using high-voltage cables, professional installation is highly recommended. Professional installation is available for purchase through over 20,000 European Nest Pros who can be found at www.nest.com.
Nest‘s mission is to create a home that‘s thoughtful – one that takes care of itself and the people inside it. The company focuses on simple, beautiful and delightful hardware, software and services. The Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Energy Services keep you comfortable and address home energy consumption. The Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm helps keep you safe and Nest Safety Rewards lets you save money through participating home insurance providers, while Nest Cam keeps an eye on what matters most in your home.
Nest products are sold in the U.S., U.K., Canada, France, Belgium, Ireland and the Netherlands and are installed in more than 190 countries. The Nest Learning Thermostat has helped save approximately four billion kWh of energy to date. Through the Works with Nest program, third-party products can securely connect with Nest devices to make homes safer, more energy efficient, and more aware.
For more information, visit www.nest.com.