What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.
Where is Carbon Monoxide found?
Carbon monoxide is found in combustion fumes produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, lanterns stoves, burning charcoal, gas ranges and heating systems. Carbon monoxide from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned by breathing it.
What are the symptoms of Carbon monoxide poisoning?
· Nausea and Vomiting
· Chest Pain
High levels of inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms impersonate other illnesses. People who are intoxicated can die from Carbon monoxide poisoning before experiencing any symptoms.
How does Carbon Monoxide poisoning work?
Red blood cells pick up Carbon monoxide quicker than they pick up oxygen. If there is a lot of the gas in the air the body may replace oxygen in blood with carbon monoxide. This blocks oxygen from getting into the body, which cause damage to tissues and result in death.
Who is at risk from Carbon monoxide poisoning?
Everyone whether it people or animals are at risk from Carbon monoxide poisoning. Unborn babies, infants, and people with chronic heart disease or respiratory problems are more vulnerable to its effects.
How can I prevent CO poisoning from my home appliances?
Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas appliances serviced by a Gas Registered engineers every year. If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator’s cooling unit have an engineer to service it. This could mean an odor from the cooling unit of your gas refrigerator can mean you have a defect in the cooling unit. It could also be giving off Carbon monoxide. Install a battery-operated or battery back-up Carbon monoxide detector in your home. Always check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.